Wondering how long does it take to get a concealed carry permit in Colorado? Colorado requires all residents to obtain a concealed carry permit in order to legally carry a concealed firearm. You must be eligible, follow the necessary steps, and meet certain requirements before applying for your permit.
At Colorado Handgun Safety, we are a firearm education center in Colorado Springs. We offer a variety of firearm training classes, including a concealed carry permit course. Our staff is here to help guide you through the process of getting a concealed carry permit and how to carry safely.
Ready to learn more? Keep reading to get started!
How Long Does a Concealed Carry Permit in Colorado Take to Get?
The process of getting a concealed carry permit in Colorado is not lengthy, but it does take some patience. Depending on your background, you may need to submit additional documentation or take a safety class in order to qualify. From start to finish, the process typically takes between 30 and 120 days.
Concealed Carry Permit Requirements in Colorado
In order to be eligible for a concealed carry permit in Colorado, you must meet CCW requirements:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a resident of Colorado for at least one year
- Not have any felony convictions
- Not be in a period of probation or parole
- Demonstrate competency with your handgun by completing a CCW course
- Submit a background check
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status
Steps You Will Need to Take Before Applying for Your Permit
Before you can apply for your concealed carry permit, there are several steps you will need to take:
- Decide where to apply. You can fill out an application and submit it in person at your county sheriff’s office or online through the state website.
- Take a gun safety class. In most counties, you will be required to take a gun safety class before applying for your permit.
- Get fingerprinted. Your fingerprints will need to be taken and submitted in order to complete the background check process.
- Submit an application fee. The fee for submitting your application is usually around $100-$150, depending on the county where you are applying.
Once all of these steps have been completed and your application has been approved, it will take a few months to receive your concealed carry permit. If there are any issues with your application or if additional documents or paperwork are needed, the process may take longer.
Colorado Concealed Carry Reciprocity Laws
Colorado has concealed carry reciprocity agreements with a number of states, so you will be able to use your Colorado permit in those states. Additionally, certain laws and regulations apply to carrying a concealed weapon in Colorado. These include:
- You must have your permit on you at all times when carrying a concealed firearm
- You cannot bring firearms onto school grounds or any other government property
- When carrying your firearm, it must remain completely hidden from view
- Carrying firearms is prohibited in bars and clubs that serve alcohol
- It is illegal to possess a loaded handgun in vehicles unless you have an approved CCW permit
Earn Your CCW Permit with Colorado Handgun Safety
Ready to get your concealed carry permit in Colorado? If you’re planning on getting your permit, keep in mind the timeline and the requirements that you will have to meet. Carrying a concealed weapon is a serious responsibility and it’s important to make sure that you are fully prepared.
At Colorado Handgun Safety, we offer CCW classes to help you with the process of getting your permit. If you are new to firearms and want to work your way to your CCW permit, we offer a wide variety of firearms classes to get you started. Contact us today to learn more about our classes and how we can help you get your concealed carry permit in Colorado.