What Is A Concealed Carry Permit?
Concealed carry permits allow an individual to legally carry a weapon in a way that hides it from others. There could be severe consequences if the police catch you carrying a gun without a license in Colorado.
If you’re a first-time offender, the authorities could charge you with a misdemeanor. They could order you to pay a fine, spend up to a year in jail, or both.
In addition, the authorities may charge you with a felony. They may order you to spend three years in jail, and pay a fine of up to $100,000.
Concealed Carry Permit Requirements
Your requirements for getting a concealed carry permit may vary. In Colorado, the requirements include the following:
- You are at least 21 years of age.
- The authorities haven’t forbidden you from owning a firearm.
- You’re a legal resident of Colorado.
- Suppose you’re not a legal resident of Colorado. In that case, you or a member of your immediate family are in the armed forces and on permanent duty at a military base in Colorado.
- You haven’t been convicted of falsifying information on a permit application.
- You do not abuse alcoholic beverages or unlawfully use a controlled substance.
- You aren’t subject to a protection order.
- Proven competence with a handgun, shown with a certificate from a handgun training class.
If you meet all of the above requirements, the sheriff still can deny you a concealed carry permit. They might believe that you present a danger to yourself or other members of society.
What Is The Process For Getting A Concealed Carry Permit?
If you’re interested in a concealed carry permit, you can get an application and information packet from your local county sheriff. When applying for a concealed carry permit, there is certain information that you will be required to disclose. This information includes:
- Your Full Name
- Previous Names You’ve Gone By
- Date Of Birth
- Addresses for the past ten years
- Proof Of Valid Driver’s License Or Military Order That Proves Residence
After completing your application, you will need to return to the issuing sheriff’s office and sign it in front of an authorized employee.
Complete Your Concealed Carry Permit Class with Colorado Handgun Safety
At Colorado Handgun Safety, our team is passionate about providing a non-intimidating environment for shooters of all levels. Whether you’re interested in becoming an instructor or you want to brush up on your shooting skills, we have a course geared toward helping you achieve your unique goals. One of our most popular courses is our Concealed Carry Permit class. The information is vital to being a responsible and educated gun carrier.
If you’re eager to become a concealed carry permit holder, you’ll need to fulfill all of the above requirements, including completing a handgun safety class. As one of the top handgun training centers in Colorado Springs, we’d be thrilled to have you enroll in our concealed carry permit class. If you have any questions regarding the course or would like to learn more about Colorado Handgun Safety, don’t hesitate to contact us today!